- 2019 QB Kevin Lukasiewicz of Arapahoe HS in Colorado will take his official visit to UND this weekend. Signing day is February 6, 2019.
- UND will be moving fast to fill the defensive line opening. Spring practice starts on March 1st, 2019.
- Hearing good things out of Folsom, CA. Last weekend’s two visitors from the D1-AA State Champs – CB Caleb Nelson and DE Chandon Pierre – both had excellent visits we are told.
- UND has received a commitment from DE Chandon Pierre of Folsom HS in California.
- UND has received their second commitment of the day from Folsom HS in DB Caleb Nelson.
- UND has extended an offer to 2019 QB Kevin Lukasiewicz of Arapahoe HS in Colorado.
- We have confirmed that NDSU has offered River Falls,WI QB recruit Logan Graetz a full ride scholarship offer. Graetz is still scheduled for an official visit to UND tomorrow.
- UND has received a commitment to the Class of 2019 from kicker/punter Reid Sanders of Wayzata High School (MN).
- As we reported on January 16th, UND QB recruit Logan Graetz is scheduled to visit campus this weekend. Bubba Schweigert and Danny Freund have been hard after the River Falls, WI native for the last month or so.
- We have a list of potential candidates for the DL position to replace former DL coach Jordan Gigli. Will follow up with a blog post on those names soon.
- As we tweeted yesterday, former UND OL great and NFL Denver Bronco Chris Kuper, has been hired back home where he and his family reside in Denver as the assistant OL coach for Head Coach Vic Fangio. Kuper will get the opportunity to work alongside NFL OL legend Mike Munchak. Munchak was the head coach for the Tennessee Titans from 2011-2013 and was most recently the OL coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2014-2018. Great opportunity for “Kupe”.
- Former UND WR and offensive coordinator Luke Schleusner is said to be in the mix for the OC job at South Dakota State. Schleusner currently serves as co-special teams coordinator and tight ends coach and is the currently the longest tenured assistant on John Stiegelmeier’s staff. The job was vacated when Eric Eidsness took the OC job at Northern Illinois recently.
- Hearing UND intern Patrick Swanson will follow Jordan Gigli to Dekalb to join the Northern Illinois staff as a GA. The Illinois native will be going back to his home state. Swanson’s role at UND had some quality control elements to it. The same role that Sam King held prior to his departure to UM-Duluth a few years back.
- We have confirmed that UND defensive line coach Jordan Gigli will be heading to Northern Illinois to take over the DL duties for the Huskies. Gigli spent the past five years at UND and was a part of Bubba Schweigert’s initial coaching staff.
- Transfer kicker Brady Stevens of Highlands Ranch, CO has joined the UND Football team. Stevens attended the University of Colorado last fall with promise of joining the team at Xmas break. However, CU fired coach Mike MacIntyre and those plans fell through. Stevens will provide competition for sophomore kicker Brady Leach.
- One of the 2019 high school QB recruits that we discussed in our podcast on January 4th has become the primary recruit at the QB spot. River Falls, WI QB Logan Graetz has has tweeted an offer from the UND staff. Graetz committed to NDSU back in July, then flipped to Minnesota after PJ Fleck offered a PWO spot. Graetz is scheduled for an official visit to Grand Forks later this month.
- Hearing former QB and current WR Brad Heidlebaugh is retiring from football. The Rugby, ND native and senior-to-be apparently plans on continuing to be a student-only at UND.
- UND held their first Junior Day of the year today. They hosted approximately 30 high school juniors from around the local area.
- The first official recruiting weekend of the 2019 “second season” will be on January 26th.
- Former UND OL coach Rod Carey is the front runner for the Temple heading coaching opening. Former UND QB Jake Landry is currrently on his staff at NIU.
- Update: Carey has been named the new head coach at Temple.
- Roster News: OLB Ray Haas has officially joined the team for winter workouts. Haas left the team last year but was back on campus in August. LB Zach Murphy from Grand Forks Central now officially joins the team for winter workouts, as well. OLB Mike Bruner has left the team but we do not believe he has transferred to another college.
- Hearing UND is zeroing in on Iowa Hawkeye assistant offensive line coach Joe Pawlak as the new offensive line coach. HR protocol pending, we believe Pawlak is the guy that will be announced in the next couple days.
- Keep an eye on Iowa assistant OL coach Joe Pawlak and Wyoming assistant OL coach Jake Claborn. We’re hearing the staff really likes both candidates. Iowa Head Coach Kirk Ferentz and Iowa OL coach Tim Polasek have spoken very highly about Pawlak to the UND staff. Both Pawlak and Claborn were on our original list of OL candidates we wrote about back in November.